About The Festival
The mission of the Quebec City International Festival of Military Bands is to promote awareness and appreciation of Canada's military Bands and of its traditions, history, and various forms in sites featuring Old Québec's fortifications and historic places.
Another aspect of the organization's mission is to welcome prestigious foreign military bands and encourage exchanges between Canadian and foreign musicians and with the public.
The Quebec city International Festival of Military Bands is the only event aimed at military music lovers. The event welcomes some twenty bands each year and features more than 800 musicians in approximately forty activities, including popular concerts and special thematic events.
The Festival lasts five days and is held at the end of the summer, at a time when the other major events held in Old Quebec are over.
The objectives of the Quebec city International Festival of Military Bands are the following:
- Allow the public to discover and appreciate military music;
- Provide La Vieille Capitale with a prestigious, world-class cultural event;
- Offer high-quality programming in which most popular activities are free;
- Spotlight Old Quebec's historic and fortified sites;
- Promote the city of Quebec as a major attraction and tourist destination par excellence at the regional, national and international levels;
- Create appreciable economic impact. The Festival generates economic activities in the order of $ 8 M, creates 285 direct and indirect jobs and represents 15,000 person-nights in commercial establishments (based on a survey in 2006).